The best part of getting health insurance, besides the dental work, was getting new glasses. For me, glasses are a fashion statement. As I browsed the selection at Fred Meyer, I came across a pair that had great potential.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Funky shape? Check.
Unusual color? Check.
But they were still missing that special something. That glitz, that glamour, that je ne sais quoi.... However, I'm a creative person, so a trip to Michael's was in order. After the shopping was done, I gathered my supplies and got ready to turn my ordinary frames into Ethels.
Image hosting by Photobucket
2 mm rhinestones, superglue and tweezers. I was good to go!
I tested out a pattern before committing myself.
Image hosting by Photobucket
I ran into one small problem - Superglue doesn't dry well. It creates a pretty quick bond between surfaces (thus leading me to my first hint: Don't get it on your lenses.) but doesn't dry quickly when exposed to air. The drops of glue were bigger than the rhinestones, so I had to wait for the residual glue to dry.
Image hosting by Photobucket
That leads me to my second hint: Don't touch the glue. If you do touch the glue, don't touch anything else. On the bright side, I did glue my finger to my thumb in a very pretty, mudra-esque manner. After separating my thumb and finger, I was able to work on the other side of the frames.
Image hosting by Photobucket
And voila! The frames I have christened Ethel. Gretta tells me she had the same frames 50 years ago. Either she was a pioneer, or I am spearheading a whole new segment of the retro craze.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you need to glue a rhinestone onto the nose piece. Kind of like a permanent bindi.

Mary said...

I thought of that, but a girl doesn't want to go TOO overboard. Plus, Tom already has trouble looking at me when I'm wearing the Ethels. Must be the blinding light reflecting off the rhinestones....

Subscribe