Feb 15, 2006

chagrined

Posted by Mary |

I don't normally buy into the materialism of Valentine's Day. Sure, we have a nice meal, but I don't expect a heart-shaped box of candy or jewelry. But when Don mentioned yesterday that he'd bought Jen roses, I started complaining about the fact that Tom never buys me flowers. To be fair, he's very financially practical, and what's more impractical than a cut-off plant that will soon die? But still, they're pretty. And it's not like he'd have to strain to figure out what I want. I've strived to make it easy for him to understand.

INT.TANANA VALLEY STATE FAIR AGRICULTURAL DISPLAY.DAY
MARY:Wow look at those lilies.
TOM:Yeah.
MARY:They're so colorful. And they smell wonderful too.
TOM:Yeah.
MARY:I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of roses. They're so run-of-the-mill. Lilies have such beautiful variety.
TOM:Uh-huh.
MARY:I mean, the calla lilies are gorgeous, but tiger lilies are vibrant. You know, lily of the valley is the flower for May.
TOM:Yeah.
MARY:And that's the month when I was born. That's probably why I like lilies so much. [smells flowers] Oh they smell so nice!
TOM:Hey, check out this tomato! It's, like, mutant or something.

So yeah, I bitched about his not buying me flowers. Then I got to the cabin and found Tom. With flowers. Lilies, to be exact. That he went to two stores to find. And brought home on his bike.

I do love that man.

0 comments:

Subscribe