Jul 5, 2006

give it a tri or give it a rest?

Posted by Mary |

The weather has, not surprisingly, been cold in Alaska this summer. Cold enough to make me wonder about entering the Chena Lakes Triathlon this weekend. Sure, I have a wetsuit, but a 2mm shorty is good for surfing and not much else. I just don't know if I'm up for a 500-yard open water swim (especially since I've been running more and swimming less lately. It has something to do with limited pool hours but unlimited daylight). In order to avoid the late entry fee, I need to decide in a few hours, because open registration is from 4-7 today.

I keep swinging back and forth. I could just go do it. I could post a bad time. I could enjoy the race. I've got no one to cheer me on from the sidelines. It's good practice for future triathlons. I could skip it and focus on my running and enter a few road races. I like multisports. I haven't been biking in a while. I had a good run yesterday. The water might be painfully cold. The weather might warm up before Sunday. It doesn't matter how fast I go. There could be lots of really competitive people there. So what's wrong with a little competition? I hate to lose.

You see what the voices in my head are saying?

1 comments:

Cara J. said...

Well I'm the wrong one to encourage you if there is cold water involved!! I wouldn't even be torn, I hate being cold. If its any consoliation the summer in New England is sucking too. There was no spring...at all. Most of the summer so far has been about 60 and raining. Sun? What's that? We are on day 4 of rain right now.

Subscribe