Oct 27, 2008

monday is a day for recovery

Posted by Mary |

Another long weekend has come and gone. After the drama during the week, I managed to get out and about several times without running into any unpleasantness, which I count as a victory.

Friday night was, as expected, quite a treat. I met Tom at an English department reading, then he and I went out for Korean food and complaining. He works very well as a friend, and the best part of the whole breakup is that I no longer have to share my food with him. We headed back to his place so he could plug his car in to go to a bonfire while I changed into a costume. The Good Daze were playing at the Marlin and had declared it Viking night. I was only able to find one Viking costume in town, and the package referred to it as “Viking Vixen.” It was indecent even by Mary-wearing-a-costume-at-the-Marlin standards, so I had sewn another skirt to go underneath it. Tom kindly cut the skirt up to a more desirable (read: shorter) length, and then we headed our separate ways.

If you’ve never been to the Marlin before, I must tell you that you have to descend some stairs into the basement before you enter. Once inside, you’re pretty much on the stage. I fear for the noob who tried to visit the bar for the first time on Friday, for he or she likely walked in as the entire bar was singing along to a Viking song, mostly dressed in costume.

I had the pleasant experience of flirting with someone. Actually, I have that experience several times a week, but in this instance the flirting soon turned to talk of Star Trek. It’s a good bet that you can win my heart through geek talk. Too bad I got blocked by some skinny girls from the Pub Line.

Saturday found me baking up a storm in preparation for a round of events that evening. The best-laid plans always fail, though. I brought baked goods #1 to a bonfire at Kendall and Wayne’s house. I was supposed to bring baked goods #2 to JK’s going-away party at Chris John George’s Rock Band extravaganza, but instead found myself at a quite acoustic concert in a candle-lit Pub. Sista Trista and I quickly departed that scene in favor of the Marlin, where the Good Daze were once again playing, though this time in their street clothes. More flirting with the Trek guy, more MFA action, then someone force-fed me part of their hotdog and I realized it was time to get out of the Marlin. Which is how I ended up at the Big I, where I found Christi, Gary and Steven. Christi had not mentioned her birthday, but fortunately I just happened to have baked goods #2 in the car (still). Gary dubbed me Betty Crackwhore. I take it as a compliment.

Sunday should have been a day of rest, but Tom and I had agreed to usher at a play. OMG. Our friend Brandon directed “Wait Until Dark,” and it is fantastic! Holly Carroll, Mike Karoly and Shannon Luster are a particularly talented trio, and they helped put on what will easily be the best play at FDA this season. After that, I canceled my sauna plans in favor of a night of Halloween costume sewing. I really do plan to cut back on my going out, but it will have to happen after next weekend. I’ve been working on the costume for a while, though I’m not giving hints just yet. Pictures to come.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures of costumes? Promises, promises........

One question, though: Was the Trek talk/flirting about TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, or, (god forbid) Enterprise?

Anonymous admirer.

johnt501 said...

I just really want to know.... what is MFA?

luv ya

johnt501 said...

I just really need to know...
what is MFA....

luv ya from nashville

Cara J. said...

Cut down on going out! Why on earth would you want to do that? Come on the rest of us need to live vicariously through you (a.k.a. someone should be having some fun).

Cara J. said...

Oh and I know I've totally dropped the ball on my blog. Bad archaeologist, bad!
Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Wait.....hold on.

Why don't you share food now that you've broken up?

Anonymous Admirer.

Anonymous said...

just got this email from Adam.
I assume that you're going, yes?



Sat Nov 1, 7pm: Dead Writer's Celebration. A UAF English dept tradition returns to the Blue Loon. Hear writers read the works of dead writers. Tons of fun, gets pretty wild.


Anonymous Admirer.

Subscribe