Jun 11, 2007

i have met the enemy

Posted by Mary |

Summer in Alaska produces a lot of pests. Everyone's heard about our mosquitoes. Last year we had a bad yellow jacket year. And I've currently got a couple of wasp nests around the property that I'm keeping an eye on. But my big annoyance this year is the ever-persistent spruce bud worm.


They don't sting. They don't bite. They just hang in midair from a bit of webbing like a perverted, squirming Christmas ornament. Walking through the trees to get to our cabin has become a delicate art of dodging and weaving through the dangling pests.

I was only mildly annoyed by them until I walked into one full on the other day people. I'm usually not a girl about crawly things on me, but this one made eyeball contact. Eyeball, people. The only thing going in my eye should be my contacts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigod! That's how the aliens take over: through the conjunctiva! Mary's become a pod person!

Terri

Theresa said...

You found me out. I am one of your biggest fans, but I can't find you lately. I miss your restaurant reviews and your recipes. Yadda, blah, yadda, blah. I'm sure you're plenty busy. Maybe someday I'll come up and introduce myself. I'm just too shy-shy, hush, hush, eye to eye. (I always thought they said, Ida why, but that was before the age of the internet.) Thanks for leaving me a message.

Jenni Moody said...

Hi Mary!

I have an Alaska noob question. :) Is it ok to ask it here?

What does Toyo mean? I saw it in a newsminer online ad for a cabin. All I can think of is maybe....Toyota?

Deirdre Helfferich said...

Re spruce worm and eyeball contact sports: EEEWWWWW!

Re Toyo: short for Toyotomi space heater, brand of warmth-producer and frozen toes thawer.

Subscribe