Jul 11, 2012

heard on Skype

Posted by Mary |

ok...   cubic yard of pudding.   go on...
--Beau
Well, it's for pudding wrestling. Obvs.
:*
But, yeah, seriously, it's for pudding wrestling.
--Me, not making the
situation any clearer


Beau is too far away from me. True, we've spent every summer apart thus far, but this time it's more than 350 miles. He's on the other side of the world, and I've packed up and moved to Anchorage. I sleep on a bed on the floor of a friend's spare room, and wait to sell my house in Fairbanks. The Internet is too slow where he is, so we stick mostly to Skype chat. Getting cut off in video chat is worse than not seeing him at all.

Life in the big-ish city is taking shape. Although I still travel to Fairbanks on the weekends, I have set up a small routine here. I have dance classes and a yoga pass, and lots of friends to connect with. The owner of the yoga studio asked me to start subbing for classes, and I'm undertaking an epic tour of local restaurants. Last weekend I drugged the cat and drove her down the Parks Highway. Nibbles is settling into life locked in one room with me, and is extra-needy.

But even a new location can't keep my mind from wandering, and so I have gathered a small group of friends and made plans to return to India this winter. When I don't have my husband here to ground me, it seems awfully easy to pick up and go somewhere for a while. I miss being surrounded by the chaos of Rajasthan. The itinerary has yet to be determined, though we're pretty sure we'll be going to Pushkar in January. I'm probably going to lose the battle to skip Agra.

0 comments:

Subscribe